City of Rushford
Small Town Commerce
Many towns along the Historic Bluff Country National Scenic Byway were home to developed industries serving the surrounding agricultural community. The Rushford Wagon and Carriage Company was a growing concern from 1872 to 1939. In the stone building at the corner of Elm and Park, the small company manufactured the Rushford Wagon, a sturdy and functional farm wagon used throughout Minnesota and the Upper Midwest. These types of wagons were necessary tools for the farmers, who continued to develop their tillable holdings. Gradually, the wagon became outmoded with the rise in popularity and increased efficiency of the automobile and tractor.